Diversity & Inclusivity
Diversity is more than ticking boxes on ethnicity and gender. Inclusivity must permeate vocabulary and operations, not just be a title for a person or department. True diversity and inclusivity relishes challenges to power structures and inculcates empathy as a fundamental premise.
COS foments the opening of mind and heart, empowering and creating spaces and places for the expiration, confrontation, and recalibration of personal biases. COS goes beyond “surface” respect and fosters gratitude for others’ unique perspectives.
- The history and context of racism and all other -isms.
- Concrete ways to have courageous conversations.
- Practices for fostering diversity & inclusivity
- Personal conscious & unconscious biases, and how to address them.
- Microaggressions & their impact on marginalized communities.
- How to take personal responsibility for our individual actions and comments which are perceived as degrading to others.
“Your values are outstanding and applaudable, and your caring to reach out to others is none other than remarkable. Through that kind of caring, you have reached out and touched me. Towards the end of your speech, tears began to swell up in my eyes, and though you are a complete stranger, I had this incredible urge to run up on stage and give you a hug. You are a better person than me, and thus you are an inspiration. My heart goes out to you, and your worthy cause.”
“Over the past year, STM has been making many positive changes, one of them being raising awareness on serious topics such as mental health, sexual assault, suicide, etc. You were the voice we needed! Your story has changed lives, and for that, I can’t thank you enough. I believe your story has begun a movement in this school, prompting discussions on how to make STM and our community a better place! I know you will continue to spread your message, inspiring the youth to take a stand against mistreatment in the world. I wish you all the best in your journeys to come.”