When is a compliment really received as harassment? When does attentiveness become stalking? How do we define respectful treatment of others so that we do not cross either legal standards or personal boundaries?
COS combines personal experience and interactive case studies to analyze power balance, controlling behaviors, and abusive communication. We spotlight how to set clear expectations in relationships and the importance of self-confidence. Empower your community with clarity on their romantic and personal interactions with others, whether online or in person.
- What constitutes sexual misconduct, sexting, child pornography, incapacitation, and coercion.
- Types and ways perceived or actual power imbalances impact respectful relationships.
- The technological, physical, and other ways in which power can be wielded inequitably in relationships.
- How to nurture healthy relationships.
- How to remove ourselves or our peers safely from abusers.
- Our personal responsibility to intervene when we know about an abusive relationship.
“My English class first semester was often the battleground of anti-feminism. Everyone would taunt me for challenging stereotypes of women and asserting that date rape, instead of being ‘just an excuse for an ex-girlfriend to get back at an ex’ actually happens and actually hurts people. My fourth period English class did a 180 the day you spoke at my school.”
“Your personal warmth and your expert timing kept the students listening with rapt attention at an hour that challenges all of us who work with youth. Thank you for coming to challenge us in our thinking.”